Monday, June 20, 2011

Self-Guided Rafting Trip


Saturday found Scott and Vess on the adventure of their lives. They're both fairly experienced rafters, and I think they felt pretty excited and confident about running a portion of the upper Provo river. We rented from Outdoors Unlimited in Provo and drove about 1.5 up past Kamas to begin the adventure.



Vess had a lot of trouble getting his wet suit on. I was very sad Angie wasn't there to deal with that :) The boys got that raft pumped up, and loaded in some rope and water for emergencies!


This is the portion of the river trip I saw. The put in:

(The videos are very funny!)



Do you think I felt confident after seeing that? Not so much...


But, I went on my way to the first check point. I listened to a lot of my audio book and enjoyed the river and the sun!



According to our calculations, the boys should have arrived at our first checkpoint in 1/2 hour to 45 minutes. Well, I didn't worry at the hour mark. I told myself there were probably fallen trees and they had to get out and walk around. I came up with more excuses at the 1:20 mark, 1:40 mark, but at 2 hours with an estimate of 1/2 an hour, I worried. BAD. I left them this note on the bridge, and went to search.


The next 20 minutes were scary for me. The portion of the river between the put in and the first check point was unaccessible by foot/vehicle, so I felt helpless. I drove back and forth between the 2 points, blowing my whistle and desperately praying for their bright blue raft to round the bend. And just before I headed for the ranger station:


They came :)

Before I knew it, the came bumping along to the first check point. They were glad to have made it, as was I!!! I think overall they had a great time, and really loved the adrenaline and thrill they got from the ride.




Good thing they had wetsuits because that glacier run off was CHILLY!

HIP HIP HOORAY for their safe return and fun memory!

HIP

HIP

HOORAY

:)

4 comments:

Alison Spencer said...

You're right, those videos were hysterical. Especially that second one. And just so you know, I'm pretty sure both Ben and I advised Scott against this trip...

Julie T said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Noelle said...

Wow, was that all one comment? Yikes o rama. The videos were funny I'm glad everyone's safe.

Leanna said...

That video was beyond awesome! I was cracking up with you!