Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Oscars

I have never before watched the Oscars straight through. But this year I did. The only reason I lasted through all 3 hours was because Scott and I and the Dellenbachs filled out our own ballots! We made up our own scoring system and really had a fun time! The TOTAL HIGHLIGHT of it all was the winner for Leading Actress:

SANRDA BULLOCK!!!

Have you seen her performance in Blind Side? Well if you haven't its a must. She is absolutely phenomenal. Sandra usually leads in romantic comedy films, but this dramatic role was really a good fit. When she received her oscar, she immediately praised the other nominees individually. Classy. You should have seen us cheering in that living room. Wow. What a moment!

Disregarding the fact that Sandra Bullock is an incredible actress, I think there is another reason why she is so popular. Her persona resonates with the general population. She is beautiful, but her appearance is very real. Brunette, not too much make up... you know. (According to the news) Sandra leads a normal life. She takes her kids to school and does the grocery shopping. Even after she received the oscar, she is quoted as saying, "Now I can look back and think, ‘Wow, this is a little piece of history.’ I’m glad I got to share this time and exhilaration with extraordinarily beautiful and talented women." I like Sandra because she is so REAL and so humble. She knows her limits and has a personal life, while still being a celebrity.

I was rooting for Morgan Freeman for best actor, but Jeff Bridges won for "Crazy Heart." We all wanted Matt Damon to win supporting actor for "Invictus," but Christoph Waltz won for his performance in "Phenomenal _______." We wanted Avatar to win best movie, but "The Hurt Locker" won. Maybe I would have guessed better had I seen the R rated movies.

Our favorite movies last year were:
Blind Side (Both)
Invictus (Scott)
Julie and Julia (Stef)

What was your favorite from 2009?

2 comments:

Shawna said...

I endured Avatar, but didn't really like it that much. Julie and Julia, Invictus, and Blind Side were all good. I was disgusted that a few bad words were slipped in--I was not amused. I liked The Princess and the Frog too!

Now a post about your new home is needed!

Julie T said...

Avatar was my favorite since that is the only one I have seen so far! It was definietly clever, creative and colorful, if nothing else!