Friday, October 15, 2010

Success Story!

Two weeks ago I realized that my computer cord was literally fraying. The plastic surrounding the plug was completely gone, and strands of metal wire were poking out in every direction.

Besides the fact that it was ugly and often poked me, it rarely succeeded in charging my computer ( if I propped it up exactly right with the perfect amount of pressure from every direction, it would intermittently work…) I was also worried that it would send a weird fuse to my computer, or transfer power in a damaging way.

So I made an appointment, arrived early, and told my sob story to the “genius” at the desk. After locating my serial number, he said my applecare has been expired for 4 years and 86 days. Ooops.

“The best I can do for you is to take your broken one, and give you a new one from the wall for $61 instead of $74…”

(WHAT? That is NOT the best he could do, and we both knew it!)

So I responded, “Wow, that is more money than I can spend on a power cord. You know, I LOVE apple, but I’m newly married and my husband still uses a PC. Every positive experience we have with you really makes a big difference.”


5 minutes and 1 signature later, I walked out with a brand new power cord. For Free.

:)

I attribute this success to my mom who taught me to never take no for an answer!

6 comments:

Carly said...

That exact same thing happened to mine only I was not as smart as you and paid! I need to learn from your lessons of always taking advantage of the moment (I'm thinking Bill Gates story) haha.

Noelle said...

OH MY GOSH! Are you kidding me? I cannot believe you finagled a way to get yourself a free one. You are so lucky, and smart. Wow.

Janssen said...

Well DONE! That is so awesome.

Heather said...

That so totally ROCKS! Way to go mama's girl.

Jessica Holly said...

You are my new hero.

Sandra and Brent said...

Stefanie, I know that you're an amazingly talented girl but I didn't know that negotiation was among your many talents! I just enjoyed a few minutes of browsing through your most recent posts . . . looks like life is good! I am sooo going to try that vegetable dish . . . looks delectable! Good to catch up with you. Love, Sandra