Tuesday, February 8, 2011

A crafty Weekend

This weekend was a great RELAXING weekend. Saturday we each did our respective crafts. Mine with wood, paper, stamps and paint (read: valentines) and Scott's in the kitchen. He completed project
Gnocchi!
The recipe he used began with the statement:
"Gnocchi is definitely not for the faint of heart!"
Gnocchi is a potato based dumpling about the size of a quarter, but in a more oblong shape. They are served as an entree with various sauces such as tomato, pesto, or melted butter with cheese. According to Wikipedia, "It has been a traditional Italian pasta type of probably Middle Eastern origin since Roman times. It was introduced by the Roman Legions during the enormous expansion of the empire into the countries of the European continent."

It turned out perfect in every way. Beat Olive Garden by a long shot. But even better than his gnocchi was his marinara sauce made from scratch. It was PERFECTION. I can't even tell you how robust the flavors were and how fresh and palatable it was. It makes me never want to buy Ragu or Prego ever EVER again.

At first I was a little sad that I am the Sous Chef in our family. But you know what? I will gladly keep my status if Scott keeps turning out dishes like this one! Plus he says I am the best sous chef around!

Next Culinary Challenge: Boeuf Bourguignon a la Julia Child.

4 comments:

Shawna said...

From one sous chef to another: Viva la sous chef! and viva le grand chef too! Now we need to hear/see about your crafts!

Suzy said...

So when are you going to post the fabulous recipes? :)

Noelle said...

I have never eaten gnocchi.

Bryan Tanner said...

4/5 people don't know how to give the correct pronunciation of gnocchi. And speaking of statistics, I just noticed that I took 2/3 of the pictures you used in your blog header--I take that as a high, unintentional compliment.