Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mothers Day 2011

Five memories with mom:


1. I remember my mom loading us up into the car about a million times to go to the beach or the tide pools to play. After she always got us KFC and we would eat it on the bluff in Corona del Mar.

2. My mom was always there doing projects or homework with me. For one history day project, we watched movies, got boxes and cutouts, spray painted them, build a cool stand, typed the report and we didn't win anything! My mom was just as mad as I was.

3. One time, John and I decided we didn't want to go to church. My dad eventually got fed up and left us in the backyard. My mom went to church early for a meeting, but when she heard what happened, she came home in a flurry and grabbed us and said, "Church is not optional! Get in the car!"


4. Christina and I went with my mom to visit Fairview, ID where she was born. She borrowed some horse from a friend so we could go for a ride. They put me on a retired race horse. A little into our walk, I started kicking the horse to get it to run. My mom started frantically yelling at me. "Stop it! That is not one of those flee bitten nags you ride in California! You make horse run, and it will throw you off!" Haha. She is such a cowgirl.


5. The first time I started using an alarm clock was at college, because my mom woke us up for early morning seminary every day during high school. She would come up the stairs and open our doors singing and clapping to, "Rise and shout, the cougars are out!" It was painful and hilarious. She always made us a hot breakfast to get us going.





1. The year she home schooled me, we did lots of fun things like when she took me to talk with the orderers at the grocery store to learn about supply and demand.

2. One time we got in a whip cream war and we chased each other around and around the kitchen island until finally someone opened the front door and we took it outside to go round and round the cul-de-sac.

3. Our family was in Switzerland one summer and my mom was the only one who knew German (she knew ALL the languages through Europe- French, Italian, German...). Since we couldn't read the sign beside the bridge read "No jumping allowed," she pretended not to be able to either. The five of us held hands and jumped of that bridge in Bern so many times- it was a total highlight of my life! Also, whatever situation we are in she has the perfect things with her. Like that day she had a blow up balloon that we passed through the river.

4. We would watch movies in her bed and eat popcorn together (we both LOVE popcorn!) and try really hard not to spill so dad wouldn't be mad :) If dad said I had to go to my room, she would let me sneak in on her side of the bed and not let on to dad. hahaha

5. Mom would drive me to and from jump rope practice every day (including many Saturdays) for about 11 years- talk about sacrifice! She would encourage me to make a goal for myself each practice.


HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!

2 comments:

Noelle said...

What a sweet post to two wonderful women. ;) Thanks for posting.

Hermana Whitehead said...

Now I can see why you sisters have so much fun all the time. Your mom modeled, encouraged and taught you!