Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Festival of Trees

I've regretted not going to the Festival of Trees for the past 3 years!


I almost didn't make it again this year, but we pulled through, and it was totally worth it! The Festival of Trees has been going on for 41 years as a fundraiser for Primary Children's Hospital in SLC. It is so impressive to see all the trees/quilts/wreaths made and donated for this cause. Individuals, families and businesses can contribute and then the trees are auctioned off for... lots and lots of money. Many of the trees are dedicated to children who have either passed away or are currently battling a terminal disease. Their stories are written on the back of the plaques. I only read 2, both of them had my crying so I had to stop reading them. They were too sad. I think I was especially sensitive to the sad stories about these babies and young kids since I am growing one of my own!




Here is a world/travel themed tree:




My dad's firm Stoel Rives has a branch in Salt Lake who decorated this tree:




Each tree had such variety and was totally different from the next!




Stoel Rives' was a sock monkey tree!




Here is a White House gingerbread house! So impressive!




Lots of Disney themed trees and things. Here is a cute one from Tangled:




Mom- this quilt screamed your name!




We took this photo for our friend Margene- it had sand dollars and beachy things all through it!




And you want to know the coolest part? As we were standing in line for tickets, this man came up and told us that 2 from his party couldn't make it- And then he gave us his extra tickets! Talk about spreading some Christmas cheer! Loved that!

4 comments:

Claire said...

I remember the monkey one, so cute! :)

Emily Holden said...

Oh Stefanie, I'm so glad that you could go! I love the Festival of Trees and now apart of my heart will always be with Primary Children's. I wish I lived closer so I could attend or do something for Ethan. Thanks for sharing all the beautiful pictures!

Julie T said...

Much easier to go this year than next! I'm happy you made it and also looked so poor and scruffy that a nice man took pity on you! jk I do the same- look for a young couple who could use a break and offer my half off tickets or whatever I have. It was very fun to see all those trees- thanks for posting! And what a great cause. You're' right- the stained glass outlined in black screeched my name! I love, love love it!

Marcindra LaPriel said...

I volunteered at the Festival this year. It's so much more meaningful when you know the story behind the trees.

I was at the Birthday Tree. It was decorated by Leatherbys. The story is that there was a girl born 14 weeks premature. She weighed in at 2 lbs 3 oz. She had to stay in the ICU for 121 days. But now she is healthy and she will be able to celebrate her first birthday and many after that.

I was honored to be stationed at that tree