Monday, January 16, 2012

What a Weekend...


I usually do not share anything too specific about my medical condition/history, but since I ended up in the labor and delivery unit this weekend, and since I feel so blessed and relieved, I thought I'd share a bit of my weekend. Please don't read on if you get grossed out, or don't want to know the details.

The past two weeks, my pain scale has been about a 5/10. Hurting and painful, but not unbearable by any means. I had a doctor's appointment on Tuesday where we went over things, and I got an antibiotic to combat a yeast infection. (This was the second intervention in about 2 weeks). I took the med Wednesday afternoon, and beginning Thursday, the pain was getting worse and worse. I kept telling myself that I'd just taken the pill and I needed to give it some time to work. As the hours passed, it hurt to walk, sit, stand, bend over, get in the car... anything. By the time I called the doctor at 4pm Friday, they were closed and I was in a world of regret. Scott was so good never complaining about staying in on Friday night (or Saturday or Sunday) and always very attentive to me, but we were both frustrated that it was now the weekend and there was no chance to talk with the doctor.

I slept maybe 1.5 hours total Friday night. Every position hurt. By this time, I knew it was something much more fierce than a yeast infection. Maybe the antibiotic I took Wednesday killed both the bad and good bacterias? I didn't have any answers and no topical cream or warm bath relieved me. I called an OBGYN in my ward to see if I should go to the Instacare, and she said that because I am 24 weeks along, both the Instacare and the ER would send me to the labor and delivery unit at AF hospital. Since I had no discharge and wanted to skip a very large hospital bill, I decided to tough it out and be at my doctor's office Monday morning.

Well Saturday night was worse. I slept maybe half an hour before waking up in hysterics, it just hurt so bad. Scott was so so good to me, but it was a long night. Pain was now at a 12/10. About 2 am we called the on call MD who happened to be my doctor who had seen me Tuesday. He was super calm (and tired!) and told us to apply some hydrocortizone cream and then make an appointment to see him next week. I'm thinking- "I don't want pain relief, I need resolution. I am dying. and none of this next week business... I'll beat you to the office Monday morning!" Dr. Watabe confirmed that the only place who will admit me is labor and delivery, and since I have no discharge/bleeding, I should apply the cream and be tough until Monday. So anyway Scott went out and got me the cream and attended to my wailings all night long. Then at 5am it was time for him to get ready for his church meetings. Off he went, tired boy.

While he was gone at meetings and church, I started bleeding. Pregnant women at 24 weeks should not bleed. I was scared and hurting and it was just really a nightmare. At this point I was like, "I've lasted all weekend, I can wait until tomorrow so I don't have to go to the hospital." But then after talking with the OB in my ward (love her!) I was convinced that since we don't know where the blood is coming from the risk of staying home and waiting until Monday is too high. Whatever the hospital bill ends up being, it is worth having no regrets.
Ugh this story is getting really long, I'm going to wrap it up. Warning: This is the gross part: We get admitted to the hospital (Scott wanted a hospital tour before the baby's birthday, and boy did he get one!) and go through all the paperwork and such. A young nurse checks things out, has no idea what's going on, and brings in a second opinion, Carol who is a saint. She was clearly the head nurse and she knew what she was talking about and she knew what she was looking at. Turns out I had a Bartholin cyst that had gotten infected and become an abscess. So basically a grape-sized, infected sore along my vaginal canal. I was so relieved to finally have an answer and to know that the baby was unaffected and growing healthily! The cyst had ruptured (prob around 3-4am) and was now draining blood and puss. OUCH. That is all I have to say. We cleaned things out and Carol gave me Percocet and an oral antibiotic. I am feeling much better now that I am on pain meds and now that the pressure of the cyst is draining.

It only takes one little thing going wrong to realize ALL the things that are going right with this pregnancy. It is such a miracle that everything in the body can work together to create such a perfect little person. I am so grateful to have insurance and to be able to get the help I needed. Scott was a champ and did things he surely never imagined he would do. I am off work sick today, taking it easy and laying down... hopefully the medications will work and I'll be healthy and happy again soon!

5 comments:

Leanna said...

Scary and painful...so sorry! Glad you found out that baby is okay and your pain is going away too. It is true...it takes one bad thing to make you realize the good things of a healthy pregnancy. Rest up girl! Take care! Tell Scott you could use a pedicure too. JK...so glad you have someone to take of you. Ernesto got a wii when I was drugged up after the c-section because I felt so bad for him doing so much for us.

AmyH said...

That sounds awful! Glad it's been resolved and the baby is ok!

NatalieD said...

OUCH!!!! I'm glad you're on the mend, and I bet you are, too.

Tara said...

oww! so glad you are ok!

Elise said...

Oh, no fun! I'm sure you were worried sick. But, I'm glad that it was "only" a cyst, though I'm sure that was miserable. It's true that we have to be grateful for all the things that are going right. Pregnancy really is a miracle!